Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

Unpopular Star Wars opinions? - Page 5 Empty Re: Unpopular Star Wars opinions?

November 24th 2020, 3:11 pm
DarthFatcow wrote:I like Drew Karpshyn's writing, a lot.

@DarthFatcow

Unpopular Star Wars opinions? - Page 5 1471176647
SnowxElf
SnowxElf

November 24th 2020, 3:50 pm
Many episodes of The Mandalorian have been pretty lame, I only watch it cuz it's Star Wars.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

November 24th 2020, 7:38 pm
the mandalorian is possibly the best EU content we got since LoE
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

November 24th 2020, 8:10 pm
The lord of hunger wrote:

george lucas s word is not like if he was a god that determines everything (most EU authors do a better job to handle this)

Jango>Boba Fett

1. I can agree with this to a point, his word only makes sense when you look at it from a movie point of view, not so much an EU point of view. As he said, the EU was a separate thing to him, yeah sure he probably pulled some stuff for it to the movies IE: Coruscant, YT-2400, I think also Aalya Secura? But his word doesn't have to be held to the EU.

2. This one...as a character?  Yeah I can agree, I find Jango's backstory pretty well done. As a combatant? I think both have their advantages and disadvantages. Boba is less armored but has more mobility and range. Jango has more armor but shorter range and can put down more firepower. Although at a point I believe Boba does surpass Jango when he gets a full set of Beskar'gam armor.

Going off that first point though...

That Insider Magazine Fightsaber, specifically the one talking about Vader and Obi-Wan is both outdated and makes no sense when put into the context of the EU, why it keeps getting brought up from time to time as some kinda detriment to Vader I have no clue. It needs to stop being referenced as a point.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

November 25th 2020, 12:11 am
Zenwolf wrote:

george lucas s word is not like if he was a god that determines everything (most EU authors do a better job to handle this)

Jango>Boba Fett

1. I can agree with this to a point, his word only makes sense when you look at it from a movie point of view, not so much an EU point of view. As he said, the EU was a separate thing to him, yeah sure he probably pulled some stuff for it to the movies IE: Coruscant, YT-2400, I think also Aalya Secura? But his word doesn't have to be held to the EU.

i always see george s comments or supremacy statements to be heavily either contradictory to some degree or that people just nitpick what he said ages ago IIRC (the making of TPM) and dont take into consideration his other statements like for example (vader is on the realm of dooku and maul after rots or he is maybe a 80% of sidious) or even worse they dont make sense once you apply them to the legends material as a whole many people should understand that lucas give literally two fucks about the EU and he always considered only the six original movies to be the only canon storyline that he have in mind and by far the most that he worked on

yeah maybe he drew some concepts for it and put a little of his own comments and stuff on the novelizations but that doesnt mean he saw it as important as the fans saw it.

2. This one...as a character?  Yeah I can agree, I find Jango's backstory pretty well done. As a combatant? I think both have their advantages and disadvantages. Boba is less armored but has more mobility and range. Jango has more armor but shorter range and can put down more firepower. Although at a point I believe Boba does surpass Jango when he gets a full set of Beskar'gam armor.

pretty much this point is like only for a character perspective

as combatants i have them as rough equals if not boba taking a slight edge if we talk about his later appearances especially during the Vong Invasion.

Going off that first point though...

That Insider Magazine Fightsaber, specifically the one talking about Vader and Obi-Wan is both outdated and makes no sense when put into the context of the EU, why it keeps getting brought up from time to time as some kinda detriment to Vader I have no clue. It needs to stop being referenced as a point.

pretty much that source gets contradicted by DK books or the same feats both characters have shown.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

November 25th 2020, 10:36 am
This might be a hot one, but Legends Vos isn't as weak as people want to make him. I dunno where this is coming from or why.
HellfireUnit
HellfireUnit
Level Six
Level Six

November 25th 2020, 10:45 am
Up
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

November 25th 2020, 10:48 am
 Unpopular Star Wars opinions? - Page 5 3344068304
BreakofDawn
BreakofDawn
Level Seven
Level Seven

November 25th 2020, 11:16 am
The lord of hunger wrote:supremacy quotes should be treated with caution and not to be used so much on debates

krayt is a really interesting character

ROTJ is the second best star wars movie

TFA was the only good sequel out of the other 2 that came after

the bane trilogy is top tier on EU novels

the jedi search books should not exist in the first place since it make kun a really boring character.

most post ROTJ content is more rich in world building than the Prequel era

TPM and aotc are average films not as bad as many people see them but not as good either

Jango>>Boba Fett

despite what most of the fanbase thinks star wars isnt dead in the slightest were getting tons of new content that keeps giving more of a expanding view to this new continuity despite legends not longer being the focus anymore backing up this point its arguably one of the minority of Science fiction material out there that its still pretty much well unlike other franchises like star trek or Doctor who.

Canon should get a little more of attention (in terms on community)

TOR was a mistake greatly for that MMO we dint get Kotor 3

Rogue one is arguably the most interesting film out of all the movies disney have make.

This is why you're still dead to me.  Unpopular Star Wars opinions? - Page 5 4147650925
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

November 25th 2020, 11:18 am
Oh another hot one.

Jango's feat in Open Seasons against the Jedi is an extreme outlier/circumstance situation, he's never performing anywhere near that level again. So it shouldn't be used as something he normally can do/does.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

November 25th 2020, 2:02 pm
BreakofDawn wrote:
The lord of hunger wrote:supremacy quotes should be treated with caution and not to be used so much on debates

krayt is a really interesting character

ROTJ is the second best star wars movie

TFA was the only good sequel out of the other 2 that came after

the bane trilogy is top tier on EU novels

the jedi search books should not exist in the first place since it make kun a really boring character.

TPM and aotc are average films not as bad as many people see them but not as good either

Jango>>Boba Fett

despite what most of the fanbase thinks star wars isnt dead in the slightest were getting tons of new content that keeps giving more of a expanding view to this new continuity despite legends not longer being the focus anymore backing up this point its arguably one of the minority of Science fiction material out there that its still pretty much well unlike other franchises like star trek or Doctor who.

Canon should get a little more of attention (in terms on community)

TOR was a mistake greatly for that MMO we dint get Kotor 3

Rogue one is arguably the most interesting film out of all the movies disney have make.

This is why you're still dead to me.  Unpopular Star Wars opinions? - Page 5 4147650925

i mean im possibly not the only one who thinks that right

Last edited by The lord of hunger on November 29th 2020, 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

November 25th 2020, 2:47 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Oh here's something else I've seen floating around various forums.

- The Rebel Alliance is NOT a rag tag bunch of shmucks with blasters. The fact that they have access to ships and other big artillery emplacements(especially the V-150 Planet Defender) among other things shows that they are a bigger threat than most realize. They are more a rogue state than a ragtag Rebellion. It only seems like the latter because the GE outclasses them in every capacity.
The Merchant
The Merchant

November 25th 2020, 9:58 pm
Idk if this is necessarily an unpopular opinion but I much prefer the original backstory for the Sith presented in Tales of the Jedi before the Sith war arc started retconning stuff.

In the original story, "The Sith" was a name exclusively used for the alien species, one couldn't become a Sith. When the Dark Jedi came to rule the Sith, the strongest of them was "The Dark Lord of the Sith" which there can only be one. "Sith Lord" and such other titles did not exist, Dark Jedi were simply dubbed as Dark Jedi.

Naga Sadow was a pureblood Sith who rebelled against his current Dark Lord and hated the Dark Lords in general. The Sith people in general were a race of Dark side magicians, less "Evil Jedi" and more Nightsister esque people.

Freedon Nadd was a Dark Jedi with some training from a Dark Lord of the Sith which was NOT Sadow, but an unnamed guy. He never became a DLOTS, reasons were unknown.

Marka Ragnos was the DLOTS in 5000 BBY rather than Sadow and when he reigned the Republic was hunting the Sith people to extinction.

There's a lot of cool details like this, makes me wonder how different the lore would have been if they stuck with this interpretation. Like Palpatine being an alien Sith, perhaps? In the onr and only flashback of "pureblood Sith Magician" Sadow he looked more "human" for example.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

November 29th 2020, 1:33 pm

Forgot to mention this one, but I kinda blame TCW for that, it essentially turned everything back to square 1 with the CW era with starting a clean slate.

Yeah prior to 08 we still had basically a completed timeline through the various novels, the Republic comic series and games. But it still could have been expanded upon.

Although the CW being only 3 years compared to the post ROTJ content is a bit more restrictive, but even still I largely point the finger to TCW as it threw a bag of monkey wrenches into what was prior 08.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

November 29th 2020, 2:14 pm
Zenwolf wrote:

Forgot to mention this one, but I kinda blame TCW for that, it essentially turned everything back to square 1 with the CW era with starting a clean slate.

i dont really mind that the clone wars did that although that doesnt mean it was a good choice to do it.

Yeah prior to 08 we still had basically a completed timeline through the various novels, the Republic comic series and games. But it still could have been expanded upon.

this is the point i mostly agree they could have given us so much material drew upon many interludes in between like more battles that happened months before revenge of the sith more of obscure material etc.

Although the CW being only 3 years compared to the post ROTJ content is a bit more restrictive, but even still I largely point the finger to TCW as it threw a bag of monkey wrenches into what was prior 08.

thats why TCW should be canon only mostly.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

November 29th 2020, 2:31 pm
[quote="The lord of hunger"][quote="Zenwolf"]

Which it is, the best you can do if really wanna treat it as Legends, is have it be a separate timeline with the supplement material(IE: The TCW novels/comics) being its C-Canon(after all C-Canon= Continuity Canon, so those books would be TCW expanded Continuity its own EU). It makes A LOT more sense that way and you aren't wondering why the characters are so drastically different elsewhere in other C-Canon works or why certain characters don't appear.

Otherwise yeah, it's just Canon.
TenebrousWay
TenebrousWay

November 29th 2020, 2:35 pm
Most inter-era scalings, including those I ascribe to, are retarded and wouldn't function to acurately predict the results of certain vs fights

The most capable characters of their respective era should be able to offer strong fights to other capable characters of other eras, even if their original era is considered weak.

Banite scaling is super retarded and lazy world building.

Valkorion is probably on par with Luke in terms of power.

Gaps between characters are usually smaller than we make them be.
The lord of hunger
The lord of hunger
Level Two
Level Two

November 29th 2020, 4:34 pm
Zenwolf wrote:
Zenwolf wrote:

Which it is, the best you can do if really wanna treat it as Legends, is have it be a separate timeline with the supplement material(IE: The TCW novels/comics) being its C-Canon(after all C-Canon= Continuity Canon, so those books would be TCW expanded Continuity its own EU). It makes A LOT more sense that way and you aren't wondering why the characters are so drastically different elsewhere in other C-Canon works or why certain characters don't appear.

Otherwise yeah, it's just Canon.

pretty much yes
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

November 29th 2020, 4:36 pm
TenebrousWay wrote:
Valkorion is probably on par with Luke in terms of power.

Gaps between characters are usually smaller than we make them be.

1. After mulling it over, sure I can agree to this. Although at the same time, wouldn't this boost up the Alliance Commander?

2. Most likely.
The Merchant
The Merchant

November 30th 2020, 12:18 am
When it comes to vs. Battles we really need to stop using quotes and enforcing made up scaling chains to peg so and so.

Most of the Banite lowkey ain't worth a damn although they did develop some nifty tricks.

If we for real take Vader as being a scrub according to Lucas this only really empowers the Prequel era to humungous heights thanks to scaling from Marek, this wouldn't be a thing for any other era.

Old Republic era Jedi and Sith like Malgus for the most part are also scrubs.

We should be looking at things from a feats only perspective when comparing eras for the most part.

If we take the Muur + Vader thing at face value you can argue Palpatine wasn't the strongest Sith until way later. (Dunno what to think of this)

SnowxElf
SnowxElf

November 30th 2020, 12:40 am
Most of the Banite lowkey ain't worth a damn although they did develop some nifty tricks.
Interesting, surely the first generations aren't that powerful but even Ramage was capable of manipulating time; I think if one of the mid ones was that powerful beings like Tenebrous and his master had to be damn strong. 
I agree for the most part. Maybe "scrub" is a bit strong. Even people like Kit, Kolar, and Tiin would beat many of them badly.

@The Merchant
Underachiever599
Underachiever599

November 30th 2020, 1:25 am
SnowxElf wrote:
Interesting, surely the first generations aren't that powerful but even Ramage was capable of manipulating time; I think if one of the mid ones was that powerful beings like Tenebrous and his master had to be damn strong. 
I agree for the most part. Maybe "scrub" is a bit strong. Even people like Kit, Kolar, and Tiin would beat many of them badly.

@The Merchant

I'd argue Ramage wasn't necessarily powerful, per se. He was knowledgeable. Keep in mind, Jax Pavan, who is not a particularly powerful Force user, could also manipulate time by using the techniques he learned from the holocron of Ramage. Jax even managed this feat in the heat of combat against Darth Vader, so it's not like it took an insane amount of power, concentration, or time to manage. Just understanding, which Ramage had.
MP
Moderator | Champion of Darkness
Moderator | Champion of Darkness

November 30th 2020, 9:13 am
Why isn't Ramage "necessarily powerful"? He's literally a mega steroid version of Darth Bane. If Pavan could use that shit against Vader to great advantage, that's just a bonus for Ramage.

@SnowxElf "even people like Kit, Kolar, and Tiin would beat many of them badly." I mean, these guys are part of a concentration of the most powerful Jedi ever, so it's no surprise that they're among the best of the best.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

November 30th 2020, 10:32 am
Oh here’s one, although I guess it’s not too much an issue here. But just because a source is obscure doesn’t mean that it should be dismissed as Canon. It’s not the writers fault people don’t read.
Underachiever599
Underachiever599

November 30th 2020, 1:30 pm
Meatpants wrote:Why isn't Ramage "necessarily powerful"? He's literally a mega steroid version of Darth Bane. If Pavan could use that shit against Vader to great advantage, that's just a bonus for Ramage.

@SnowxElf "even people like Kit, Kolar, and Tiin would beat many of them badly." I mean, these guys are part of a concentration of the most powerful Jedi ever, so it's no surprise that they're among the best of the best.

My point about Ramage was that just because a character knows how to use an obscure technique, this doesn't mean they have a great deal of raw power. I'm not saying Ramage couldn't beat a ton of people in a fight, I'm just saying what little we do know about him doesn't tell us anything about his raw power, only his knowledge. The two aren't always the same thing.

For example, Jax Pavan is factually considerably weaker than Darth Vader. He outright admits it constantly. Yet Jax Pavan can alter time, while Vader cannot. This doesn't suddenly make Jax Pavan more powerful than Vader. He's still weaker, he just happens to know an obscure trick that Vader doesn't. Same deal with Ramage. We don't know anything at all about how powerful he is. We just know he was knowledgeable.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum