Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Trayus Marauder
Trayus Marauder

Son of Dathomir comics Empty Son of Dathomir comics

August 7th 2019, 9:32 am
While there is plenty of evidence to solidify these comics as canon material, some argue that they can also be placed in the legends universe timeline as well, therefore, making SoD Maul his legends prime as well as canon. My question to you all is what evidence do you have to justify the categorisation of these comics as legends material? (assuming you do use SoD as legends material as well as canon)
O-Siri
O-Siri

Son of Dathomir comics Empty Re: Son of Dathomir comics

August 7th 2019, 10:22 am
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/star-wars-universe-1943200/matt-martin-sod-part-of-both-legends-and-canon-1993270/

Even without that, there were already good arguments existing. SOD was created and published by Dark Horse with every intention of it being made for the old canon before the realignment and the final issues of other series, Legacy, for example, released by said company are also officially Legends even though they were published after April 25th, 2014, same goes for the last of the UK comic strips. The same reasoning doesn't apply to Dark Disciple or Tarkin because they were conceived directly under the new Lucas Story Group and specifically tailored to fit into the new Disney Canon, unlike the other examples.
Trayus Marauder
Trayus Marauder

August 7th 2019, 10:40 am
Kilius wrote:https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/star-wars-universe-1943200/matt-martin-sod-part-of-both-legends-and-canon-1993270/

Even without that, there were already good arguments existing. SOD was created and published by Dark Horse with every intention of it being made for the old canon before the realignment and the final issues of other series, Legacy, for example, released by said company are also officially Legends even though they were published after April 25th, 2014, same goes for the last of the UK comic strips. The same reasoning doesn't apply to Dark Disciple or Tarkin because they were conceived directly under the new Lucas Story Group and specifically tailored to fit into the new Disney Canon, unlike the other examples.

To offer some counterarguments:

-Matt Martin doesn't have authority over either timeline
-It was published post Disney takeover and is not an extension of work that began pre disney takeover so it doesn't necessarily follow the same rules as Legacy.

So, are there are solid points to justify it is legends material or are arguments all that can form the case. Believe me, I want SoD to be legends but I just don't see anything to prove it beyond doubt.
DarthAnt66
DarthAnt66

August 7th 2019, 12:03 pm
Since Son of Dathomir comes directly from Lucas and Filoni before the Legends overhaul, you can say it falls in Chee's Holocron system that way.
Trayus Marauder
Trayus Marauder

August 7th 2019, 12:21 pm
DarthAnt66 wrote:Since Son of Dathomir comes directly from Lucas and Filoni before the Legends overhaul, you can say it falls in Chee's Holocron system that way.

Mind expanding on that a bit? Also, how would you address the fact that SoD was first published post Disney takeover thus SoD wouldn't fall into Chee's system given it was published as canon material?
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

August 7th 2019, 1:05 pm
The covers of the Spanish versions have the Legends label.

Son of Dathomir comics 57552110

Son of Dathomir comics 59330310

Leland Chee confirmed in 2012 that foreign translations are part of the Holocron, his continuity database, the same as everything else.

Son of Dathomir comics Sod_is10

https://www.starwars.com/news/what-is-the-holocron

Matt Martin has endorsed its Legends status.

Son of Dathomir comics 6733151-sod
Son of Dathomir comics 6733152-sod2

And Son of Dathomir is just an adaptation of George Lucas' scripts that were written before the split. If even unpublished notes from Lucas were considered G-canon, I don't see why an official script by him wouldn't be. Even were the comic not Legends by itself, its contents are still reasonably reflective of Lucas's script, which is Legends, and therefore it should still be valid within the Legends continuity.

Son of Dathomir comics Sod_is11

https://www.facebook.com/DaveFiloni/posts/10152103755565053

I think all that should be solid evidence it's Legends.
The Adventurous Jedi
The Adventurous Jedi
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 7th 2019, 2:09 pm
Son of Dathomir comics 1289255181
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

August 7th 2019, 11:32 pm
Trayus Marauder
Trayus Marauder

August 8th 2019, 4:34 am
Azronger wrote:The covers of the Spanish versions have the Legends label.

Son of Dathomir comics 57552110

Son of Dathomir comics 59330310

Leland Chee confirmed in 2012 that foreign translations are part of the Holocron, his continuity database, the same as everything else.

Son of Dathomir comics Sod_is10

https://www.starwars.com/news/what-is-the-holocron

Matt Martin has endorsed its Legends status.

Son of Dathomir comics 6733151-sod
Son of Dathomir comics 6733152-sod2

And Son of Dathomir is just an adaptation of George Lucas' scripts that were written before the split. If even unpublished notes from Lucas were considered G-canon, I don't see why an official script by him wouldn't be. Even were the comic not Legends by itself, its contents are still reasonably reflective of Lucas's script, which is Legends, and therefore it should still be valid within the Legends continuity.

Son of Dathomir comics Sod_is11

https://www.facebook.com/DaveFiloni/posts/10152103755565053

I think all that should be solid evidence it's Legends.

Wow, excellent find with the Spanish versions (and the other pieces of info of course). I'm now convinced that SoD is canon/legends.
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

August 8th 2019, 11:07 am
Trayus Marauder
Trayus Marauder

August 8th 2019, 12:23 pm
@Azronger

Do you have links to the Spanish versions of SoD? Or information concerning the distributors/publishers?
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

August 8th 2019, 12:48 pm
@Trayus Marauder Sorry, but I don't. I found those pictures on Google images.
Trayus Marauder
Trayus Marauder

August 8th 2019, 12:52 pm
Azronger wrote:@Trayus Marauder Sorry, but I don't. I found those pictures on Google images.

All good. If you ever do stumble across that kind of info, please message me with the details.
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

August 8th 2019, 1:31 pm
Sure.
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

August 8th 2019, 6:25 pm
That's a shame, I thought those were Az's Funko pops and Darth Maul books. For a minute I thought he had some dope merch, ah well.
O-Siri
O-Siri

August 11th 2019, 3:29 pm
DarthAnt66 wrote:Since Son of Dathomir comes directly from Lucas and Filoni before the Legends overhaul, you can say it falls in Chee's Holocron system that way.

Azronger wrote:And Son of Dathomir is just an adaptation of George Lucas' scripts that were written before the split. If even unpublished notes from Lucas were considered G-canon, I don't see why an official script by him wouldn't be. Even were the comic not Legends by itself, its contents are still reasonably reflective of Lucas's script, which is Legends, and therefore it should still be valid within the Legends continuity.

Would you guys argue this line of thought applies to Dark Disciple being Legends also since the basic story was conceived from Lucas and Filoni?
CuckedCurry
CuckedCurry
Level Four
Level Four

August 12th 2019, 2:24 am
If DD is legends Kolar is >>>>> Dooku 😎
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum