Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Latham2000
Latham2000
Level Three
Level Three

Is Star Wars internally consistent? Empty Is Star Wars internally consistent?

February 5th 2021, 2:31 pm
To expand on what the title means, has the Star Wars universe been good at maintaining internal consistency? Star Wars obviously doesn't conform to real world logic, nor does it have to, because it's a heightened, fictional universe with a lot of fantasy elements. However, that doesn't mean that there is no logic in the Star Wars universe. Star Wars has its own ground rules and standards on how shit works and doesn't work e.g. how the Force operates. Has Star Wars been good at being consistent with its own ground rules and standards?

Here's a description of internal consistency if you don't know what it is:

Spoiler:

You can read the rest of the article from the link. Take G canon, T canon and C canon into account because this is the Legends Discussion forum.
Zenwolf
Zenwolf
Level One
Level One

Is Star Wars internally consistent? Empty Re: Is Star Wars internally consistent?

February 5th 2021, 3:19 pm
We kind of can't take T canon into account with C canon because T Canon doesn't adhere to anything of what C canon had established prior, T canon is basically a clean slate.

Now G to T Canon, well...having Dooku fight Obi-Wan and Anakin so many times it kinda...ignores the implications of the dialogue spoken in ROTS, that they hadn't fought one another since AOTC. Grevious vs Obi-Wan on Utapau is the same thing. So...it's not really consistent there to adhering to what the movies themselves established. There's also no mention of Maul or Ahsoka, which you'd think at some point would have been brought up even in passing. Yoda doesn't even do anything or mention anything about the visions he experienced to anyone about the fall of the Republic and the Jedi, which is sorta messed up.

Regarding the Force....I guess it was consistent, but only really just because everyone did the standard TK stuff and Dooku/Sidious sometimes used Force Lightning and the typical Force Jumps. When another ability came about, it was situational and not really used much. The Jedi/Sith were powerful, but not so much so that they could wipe out huge squads of enemies at a time and big Force feats were rare. So that falls in line with the movies I suppose.

Now G to C Canon....plot wise to the movies, I feel it did pretty good. There wasn't any Anakin or Dooku fighting, Obi-Wan didn't fight Grevious and Anakin didn't have a Padawan, Maul stayed dead. Yoda as far as I recall didn't have any visions about the Republic or Jedi falling, or at least I don't think it was as blatant about it.

Now regarding the Force...yeah that was greatly expanded upon and not just in your standard Force abilities, but others too. So to the movies it wasn't really consistent, although to the movies there wasn't any real need for that considering the fights that went on with circumstances surrounding them.

Now apart from all of that mind you....SW has been a bit inconsistent with blasters, in some cases it blows right through someone's body and another it just doesn't. You could chalk this up to variable dial yield which all blasters have some sort of power management, but still. Kinda the same with Turbolasers too.

Regarding hyperspace travel, I believe they were consistent enough about it...roughly.

Really I believe you'll see more inconsistency in like the 80s/90s material mainly because I feel the SWU was still trying to find its footing. It is consistent though however that the Galactic Empire is extremely huge, numbers and the like might vary in sources but the gist of it is, it's big so that in a broad way is consistent.

But overall I feel G to C canon was consistent.
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum