Suspect Insight Forums
We've moved to Discord! Join us here: https://discord.gg/b6fuSxa3uD
Suspect Insight Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
LSDMB
LSDMB

Character Philosophy Blog Suggestions Empty Character Philosophy Blog Suggestions

April 20th 2019, 9:15 am
So I'm thinking about doing a series of blogs on the philosophies and character of certain star wars characters, delving into and detailing their worldviews.

Thus far I'm planning on Darth Bane, Darth Plagueis, Darth Malgus, Luke Skywalker

Any other suggestions for characters I should delve into in this regard?
AncientPower
AncientPower
Suspect Hero | Level Four

Character Philosophy Blog Suggestions Empty Re: Character Philosophy Blog Suggestions

April 20th 2019, 10:36 am
Simply for variety, I'd suggest Traya.
LSDMB
LSDMB

Character Philosophy Blog Suggestions Empty Re: Character Philosophy Blog Suggestions

April 20th 2019, 11:15 am
Traya would be interesting, I'd have to read up more on her.
MP
Moderator | Champion of Darkness

April 20th 2019, 1:06 pm
Lol, you'd need to write a huge essay for Traya. I'd help you out there.
trayvon
trayvon

April 20th 2019, 7:25 pm
Darth Tyranus
Gᴏᴀᴛ
Gᴏᴀᴛ

April 20th 2019, 7:26 pm
Qui-Gon Gym
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

April 20th 2019, 8:40 pm
There's already an excellent 2-hour-video regarding Kreia's philosophy. Unless you disagree with it, I don't think there's much to say that hasn't been said already.

I don't think you should plan too many to avoid burnout. Just do the ones you're most interested in. If they're the ones in the OP, then that's fine.
The Witness
The Witness

April 21st 2019, 8:42 pm
Mace Windu or Qui Gon Jinn would be a great one to tackle
MP

April 21st 2019, 8:43 pm
Azronger wrote:There's already an excellent 2-hour-video regarding Kreia's philosophy. Unless you disagree with it, I don't think there's much to say that hasn't been said already.

I don't think you should plan too many to avoid burnout. Just do the ones you're most interested in. If they're the ones in the OP, then that's fine.

Great video. I think some stuff could be expanded upon though.
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

April 21st 2019, 9:37 pm
QuiGonDies wrote:
Azronger wrote:There's already an excellent 2-hour-video regarding Kreia's philosophy. Unless you disagree with it, I don't think there's much to say that hasn't been said already.

Great video. I think some stuff could be expanded upon though.

Well, the guy did a sequel of sorts explaining his view on the Grey Jedi:

But if there's still more about Kreia's philosophy you feel like needs to be explored, then by all means, go for it.
MP

April 21st 2019, 9:39 pm
Maybe some time in the distant future. Kreia is without doubt the most complex and thought-provoking character in Star Wars, imo.
xolthol
xolthol
Level Five
Level Five

April 22nd 2019, 2:40 am
@LSDMB I will be interrested in seeing a the view of Plagueis... I think maybe I will done something for Tenebrous.
The Lost
The Lost
Level Five
Level Five

April 22nd 2019, 6:46 am
I would consider doing one for Deceived Malgus. You can probably draw some parallels from Machiavelli.

Sith in general tend to view philosophy from a more western/Nietzchean PoV, Jedi are based on buddhist monks.

Dooku it should go without saying has a very interesting outlook worth exploring.

I might do one for Maul since this aspect of his character is fairly underrated.
Master Azronger
Master Azronger

April 22nd 2019, 6:59 am
ILS wrote:I would consider doing one for Deceived Malgus. You can probably draw some parallels from Machiavelli.

Sith in general tend to view philosophy from a more western/Nietzchean PoV, Jedi are based on buddhist monks.

Dooku it should go without saying has a very interesting outlook worth exploring.

I might do one for Maul since this aspect of his character is fairly underrated.

Something interesting about Malgus I noticed is that he's essentially an amalgamation of Palpatine's apprentices. He's like Maul in that he was indoctrinated into and raised as a Sith Lord from a very young age, and he has dedicated his existence to conflict and destroying the Jedi. He's like Dooku in that he has genuine moral principles that he adheres to, and he sees his current government as flawed and rotten, so he tries to reform it with his own secessionist movement. And he's like Vader in his aesthetics, obviously, and he has a lover that he deeply cares about, which shows his humanity, but he ends up killing her anyway.

I think getting an actually decent writer like Kemp to write a novel about him taking place before the game did wonders in setting him apart from the cookie-cutter characterization of most TOR characters.
NevesYtneves (DC77)
NevesYtneves (DC77)
Level Seven
Level Seven

April 22nd 2019, 7:36 am
@Azronger

Something interesting about Malgus I noticed is that he's essentially an amalgamation of Palpatine's apprentices. He's like Maul in that he was indoctrinated into and raised as a Sith Lord from a very young age, and he has dedicated his existence to conflict and destroying the Jedi. He's like Dooku in that he has genuine moral principles that he adheres to, and he sees his current government as flawed and rotten, so he tries to reform it with his own secessionist movement. And he's like Vader in his aesthetics, obviously, and he has a lover that he deeply cares about, which shows his humanity, but he ends up killing her anyway.

I think getting an actually decent writer like Kemp to write a novel about him taking place before the game did wonders in setting him apart from the cookie-cutter characterization of most TOR characters.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

April 22nd 2019, 4:59 pm
Vader has a really interesting philosophy. Particularly RODV and TFU 2 display it best

"there is no mercy, only power" is a line that really means a lot and is just one of the many things to be explored.
Sasukedc
Sasukedc

April 22nd 2019, 8:04 pm
Vergere.
AncientPower
AncientPower

April 22nd 2019, 8:19 pm
In-sidiousvader wrote:Vader has a really interesting philosophy. Particularly RODV and TFU 2 display it best

"there is no mercy, only power" is a line that really means a lot and is just one of the many things to be explored.

Stover's novelisation of ROTS, specifically Vader's character growth, is the best thing written in Legends, bar none.
LSDMB
LSDMB

April 22nd 2019, 11:03 pm
Sas wrote:Vergere.
That probably would be interesting, except I know next to nothing about Vergere.
Haggis
Haggis

April 23rd 2019, 1:38 pm
Grand Moff Tarkin. Character Philosophy Blog Suggestions 228124001
MP

April 23rd 2019, 2:13 pm
Thrawn.
FreedonNadd
FreedonNadd

April 24th 2019, 12:01 pm
DC77 wrote:@Azronger

Couldn't have said it better myself.
All the EU Sith Lords are more or less based on the G-canon ones.
The Fallen Warrior
The Fallen Warrior
Level Four
Level Four

May 2nd 2019, 4:04 pm
Hannibal Lector is a good one too. Not evil, even admirable, but twisted.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum